Play the Game

I love game shows. In fact, it is probably safe to say I was a little obsessed at one point in my life. I want to be on a game show really badly. I would love to have been on "Match Game" back in the 70's - the one with Fannie Flag and Brett and the guy from the original Family Feud, that kissed people on the lips. I would have loved that. I went through a stage in life that I only watched the Game Show network. This was back during my senior year of high school and I think the Game Show network had first made it big. I was obsessed.

However, I always wanted to be on the Price Is Right. I don't think I could go on there today though, its just not the same. I don't want to be on there without Bob. You know what I mean? I can remember when I was in elementary school and I didn't have to go to school because I was sick, Granny and I would watch The Price Is Right. Then my Dad would come in for lunch and they would watch The Young and the Restless. I don't really get soap operas. All you have to do is watch it every Friday to know what is going on. But I digress.

Last night Dad and I were watching that new game show Trivia Pursuit. Okay, it may not be new I just have only seen it recently. I don't get the concept completely - there is a studio team and an America team, but Peter Brady is the host and sometimes there are these Brady categories. It doesn't completely make sense but Dad and I like trivia. Anywho, watching this show reminded me of my only apprehension about being on a game show - the stupid stories the contestants tell.

Do you know what I am talking about? Last night the hosts says "so I hear you have been in a helicopter twice?" The girl says "yes, once I paid to fly over the beach and then I went up in a Medical Helicopter -But don't worry it wasn't an emergency." Then the audience is cued to laugh. Can anyone tell me why that story is funny? Can anyone tell me why that story is even interesting? It was one of those stories that if I were telling it I would have to end by saying, "then I found ten dollars."These stories don't endeer me to any of the contestants. I don't care if they when or loose after they start telling terrible stories like that. Usually I am thinking "wow you are really cool." (Please read that with sarcasm.) It ruins the game for me.

ALL game shows have these dumb stories. Seriously think about how many times you have heard them say "So, Katie I hear ....." Even Alex Trebek asks these sort of questions. Maybe I am just a competitive person, or maybe I just like trivia, but I don't care about whether or not your dog pooped in the mean neighbor's yard, or if you have been in a helicopter, or if you learned to surf, or whatever. Just play the game...

Comments

Lauren said…
I know just what you mean. I LOVE gameshows but I always wondered what stupid little anecdote I would have to say about myself. At least on Wheel of Fortune, you just tell about yourself...nothing special. Jeopardy is another story. Have you seen the blooper show where this lady on Jeopardy said, "I wanted it to snow so badly on my wedding day. I didn't get it on my wedding day but I got 10 inches on my honeymoon! HAHAHAHAHA! Alex made this hilarious face. It'd be my luck I'd say something stupid like that and I would end on blooper shows for the rest of my life!

Popular Posts