Long Time - No Post

Its been a while since I have written anything. I kept thinking, "I need to sit down and blog," but I have been rather busy. Last week was crazy with elections and all sorts of business, and this week is shaping up to be even crazier.

I want to comment on the election first - I am sooooo glad that it is over with. Honestly, I wasn't happy or sad with the results, I was just relieved that this race was over with. The State of Mississippi saw one of the nastiest elections ever. These two guys had roomed together at one point! Their T.V. ads were brutal and constant. You couldn't watch a show without seeing those ads. I have never hoped to see a Geico commercial in all my life. And apparently the same thing was going on in Alabama, in the district I happen to vote in - yeah, yeah, I haven't switched my residency. Anyway, those two guys are deacons at the same church. Go figure.

And I do have a few words about our Presidential Election. The old pastor of the church I attend here in Jackson, was sent here from South Africa. He and his wife left last January to go and take care of his ailing mother. They sent us an email after the election explaining what a tremendous impact this election has had on the REST of the world - not just the United States. Let me say, he was writing this email to people he knew were on both sides of the political aisle, but he wanted us to understand that this election has put faith about the greatness of the United States back in the hearts of those around the world. Think about that, this election has had a tremendous impact on the WORLD

Amazing huh? While many of us are grumbling about our taxes and what not, others around the world are seeing us as a great nation. I have to tell you, I am proud that so many people went out and voted. Something about that makes me OPTIMISTIC about the future of this country. And although your candidate or my candidate might not be in the White House come inauguration day in January, as proud Americans we should all joined together and support this new administration, even if it is only through prayer - for all you McCain supporters.

So, on a lighter note - there is this thing in Jackson called Mistletoe Marketplace. This is an event put on by the Junior League and 35,000 shoppers from all over the Southeast come to shop. There are 165-180 vendors from around the country and they sell all sorts of holiday food and gifts. I have been here for several years and I have never gone. There are lines and lines of SUVs everyday to get in the place. Something about that has always frightened me.

So, my friend SA had tickets this year and we went. Let me tell you - we both came close to having anxiety attacks. SA's almost happened standing in line for the bathroom, mine came while she was buying something at the olive booth. Oh yeah, we just went to eat all the free samples of food - we didn't buy anything. Actually, I don't even think we went in many of the non-food booths. When we left we were both so over stimulated we stopped at a local wine bar and had a glass. Something about a bunch of women fighting over a 50cent ornament marked up to $15, did me in. Oh yeah, and all the pregnant people. Lots of pregnant people - actually pregnant people are everywhere. Why is everyone pregnant? I am wondering what was going on last spring because I know so many people that are due this winter. I digress.

There were some good things at Mistletoe. I bought some "cherry salsa" that is incredible. Check it out http://www.cherryrepublic.com/. It sounds disgusting, but the cherry's added to the salsa makes it a little sweet - you will not believe how good this stuff is. I also bought this honey jelly stuff. They have recipes that you can use this stuff with. I bought the "red sour cherry" and actually yesterday I wanted to bake something and I made Paula Deen's thumb cookies and used this stuff as the filling - fantastic. Check them out at http://www.magnoliahoneyjelly.com/. They put this stuff over cream cheese, and they have this Magnolia Honey Jelly Hors D'Oevre recipe they will give you. The other thing I didn't buy but should have was Cowboy Country Honey Butter - fabulous. I don't think they have a website but here is his info Cowboy Country Honeybutter16539 South Hwy. 16, Cherokee, TX 76832. This stuff was sooo good.

If you ever get a chance to come to Mistletoe and you REALLY like shopping, then I would say get yourself a ticket. I think they really do raise money for a good cause. So, I hope all of you are well. I will write sooner next time.

Comments

Jenny said…
You know, my friend in Sierra Leone, Africa was telling me that the citizens there were thrilled with the results of the election. I agree - this is a time that the entire world can be optimistic for the future.

Popular Posts