Passing the Buck

The Bible Study was what I call "a train wreck". Two weeks ago our topic was "not letting boys influence your self esteem." My boss thought this was a great thing to be talking about and he gave me a thirty minute lecture on the topic in order for me to relay it to the girls. Last night he called before they arrived to ask me to do something for work. He is currently on vacation and he said, "are you ready to talk about infidelity?" And I said "not really." And he said, "well it is just the two of us down here on vacation, so you don't need to worry about us." It made me laugh. That was about the only laugh of the night.

I usually teach this with one of the Priests from the church. We are the same age, but she is better equipped to handle this. However, she is out of town for a youth convention. So, I was on my own and let me tell you - I think all the girls were saving up to ask me the hard questions.

I started my little spill about infidelity and I had some scenarios all planned out, when one of them said "can we talk about lesbians." (This is when I almost choked on my drink.) I said, "well, let's make that next times topic. I am going to need to talk with Priest A and then we will all talk about this together." Girl, "Oh come on let us talk about it now." Me, "no, I really need Priest A here for that one." Another girl, "well, there are some religious implications there, we probably need Priest A." Me, "EXACTLY." Third Girl, "well, can we talk about abortion?"

By this point I have broken into a full sweat. Seriously, the questions in the past have usually been about "how do you know when a boy likes you?" Or "my friend has a boyfriend and now she is ignoring me." Side note - isn't it strange how these questions ring true for everyone - not just people in the eighth grade? Anyway, I was trying to figure out how to handle the abortion discussion and I said, "maybe that should be the discussion the week after the lesbian discussion." Third Girl, "well, what can we talk about?" Me, "well, I did have a discussion planned about infidelity." Group sigh.

We did manage to talk about something for an hour. I can't even recall what we discussed now, but I know it wasn't that deep. I think they were disappointed by not being able to catch me off guard and get information out of me. All I can tell you is, I am so not ready for parenthood.

Comments

alissa said…
don't worry, they don't come out talking. you have time work on lesbians and abortions.
Anonymous said…
This age group is very unique in a great way, but can be challenging in others. Certain topics can be discussed with the leader not even imparting his/her own personal beliefs. The teens miscontrue the information and relay it differently at home. Parents can take great offense if they think a leader/teacher is trying to instill some moral/religious belief to their children that is not necessarily what they are teaching in their home. From experience, it is best to have another adult present to address topics of greater debate or confusion with teens. It allays problems that might arise with an upset parent. Keep up the good work. Never think of your influence with teens as "a train wreck". Just have a friend sit in with you.

Popular Posts