Comings and Goings

Tonight I have nothing really interesting to share with you. I am watching Sidda bathe herself - cats lick themselves. I find it rather odd behavior, but at least I know she likes being clean. She has recently decided the love seat is her spot when we are in the den. She sits on the love seat as though she is a person - again, rather odd behavior.


I personally have had a busy week at work. I thought today was Wednesday all day long and all the things I needed to do on Thursday, I was going to do tomorrow. Crazy isn't it? I also started teaching my class at the law school this week. I feel like my friends and family think I dropped off the face of the earth - and truth be told I kind of did this week.


On top of all of that I have been DIYing it this week. My garage door stopped and wouldn't open on Sunday evening. I kept hearing the motor running but the chain was not moving. I called my dad and he said, "well, I would have to look at it to figure out what the problem is." Being slightly independent, I decided I could figure this out on my own. I did a lot of research which indicated the sprocket/worm or one of those parts needed replacing. To determine what needed replacing I had to take the box off of the garage door motor and do some investigating. I figured it out and now I just have to find a Sears and get the part. Of course my mother kept saying, "please don't do this without someone present - you will fall, break your neck, and no one will know." I didn't fall, but I have decided to find someone to help me replace the part - or wait for my dad to come and visit.


Oh, and I discovered that all my neighbors are alive. I had decided that no one actually lived in the houses to the right and left of me. The cars never moved and there was never any trash. Finally, a couple of weeks ago I figured out that the house to the right was occupied because the car was gone one Sunday morning. This morning I positively confirmed the people to the left of me do live there - although they are old. The woman was outside getting her paper as I was leaving for work. Mother said that if they were anything like her parents, then they are probably glued to their windows wondering "who that girl that moved in next door is."


Apparently, my grandparents got a new neighbor and they couldn't figure out what his personalized license plate meant. Instead of the normal Alabama (UA) or Auburn (AU) license plate that they issue in Alabama, the new neighbors' license plate said UAH. They were perplexed at the UAH and they pondered on it for days. They literally sit in their den looking out the window to find out information about the neighbors and watch their comings and goings - think neighborhood watch taken to a new level. Finally, Grandmother called the Courthouse to inquire about the license plate, and they informed her that UAH was an acronym for University of Alabama Huntsville. It isn't quite "Bear Bryant" Alabama, but it is close enough for my grandparents to be okay with the new neighbor.


Maybe my neighbors are sitting there watching my comings and goings, but Sidda sits in the window at that end of the house watching the birds fly around their carport. Somehow, knowing they may be watching me but Sidda is watching them, makes me feel okay about the situation. But I should probably just go introduce myself this weekend, before they call the courthouse inquiring about me.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Take a pie
Anonymous said…
so glad to see your back

Popular Posts