My First Christmas Tree

I have officially lived alone for five years, and I have never had a Christmas Tree. In years past, I have been bah humbug about Christmas. However, over the last year, I have really embraced Advent and Christmas. So, I decided to get a Christmas Tree.

Now, the thing is, I could not justify spending money on a tree. So, the weekend after Thanksgiving I convinced my Dad to cut down a cedar tree out in our woods. My thinking was a) it was budget friendly, and b) I love the look of an old fashioned Christmas tree. Mom came along for the ride and we picked out a real beaut of a tree.

Dad and I then drove all six and a half hours back to Mississippi with the tree - and some random furniture Mom some how stealthily placed in the pile to be loaded in the truck. Every single truck we passed that was loaded down with furniture Dad would say, "I know how you feel buddy."

Once we made it back to my house, we had to get the tree in the stand. Let me warn you, these new fangled tree stands are not meant for cedar trees. I knew that we had a real problem when Dad said, "honey, I don't think it is going to work." He only says "honey" when he thinks I will be disappointed. But he came through and finally made it work.

Decorating the tree was difficult to say the least. Did you know cedar trees will hurt your hands? I look like I have been in a cat fight, and on top of that I have splinters. Oh, and the tree fell once, but I somehow got it back up. Anyway, here is my finished project. (P.S. Props to Grandmother for finishing my new curtains during Thanksgiving.)



Happy Advent!

Comments

Anna said…
Love the tree! Poor Phillip...he has hauled furniture more times than he probably cares to count!!
Lauren said…
I love the tree! We are not having a tree this year because I left all our ornaments etc. in our attic in Bham. I refuse to spend money on stuff I already have! It's also not the first year we haven't had a tree. It truly is a hassle to me (constantly watering and vacuuming up pine needles). And I love your new curtains!
Anonymous said…
What a beauty of a tree!!!
Rebecca Beers said…
Can't wait until Sidda starts climbing up the tree and/or eating ornaments... my cat in high school LOVED doing that. Looks lovely though!

Popular Posts