I moved...just down the road

I have been away for a while and it is because I have been moving. I moved to a new little house here in Jackson. Let me tell you - moving is not for the faint of heart. (Some people who have helped me move in the past are laughing right now.) I keep every book, every piece of paper, every little trinket - I am a pack rat.

I moved pretty much everything right by myself. Well, some friends came and helped me move my furniture and some other things. Oh and my mom came and helped me get the rest of the things in my kitchen. But a lot of it I moved myself. I had so much stuff in that tiny apartment that I didn't even have to buy much for this three bedroom house (my mom wanted me to add that I got this house for a steal - half of my apartment rent). Anyway, it is quite embarassing to admit I own this much junk.

There are some things I would like to comment on that I discovered while moving.

1) I need to start a window treatment and curtain rod company. Those people have to be making millions. Curtain rods are some expensive things. I can design these things - hell, they all look exactly alike. I have some design ideas for this market. All I need is a factory and some start up money - I could make millions.

2) I also need to start a mattress company. Cheap mattresses do not exist. There has got to be a store with cheap mattresses. I kept telling mom that we should just go to a used store and buy some - she has all these ridiculous notions about the various things that may or may not have happened on used mattresses. I said, "well, think about mattresses at hotels. Many, many people sleep on them and they are kind of 'used'. She launched into this thing about health departments making the hotels steam clean the mattresses. I almost brought up this dump I once stayed in at the beach, which I am sure had never steamed cleaned anything, much less washed our sheets. But, instead I just gave up.

3) I am also thinking of buying a cable, satellite or internet company. What a rip off! I called the same cable company which had provided the guy before me some internet. Well, they wanted to charge 150 dollars to come "install" the wiring. I explained the wiring was installed and they had cut the service the week before. She didn't buy my argument and I didn't buy here service. I am now using DSL for no installation fee. In fact, I am installing it myself!

4) Did you know that every picture frame with cute "writing" on it is geared for married people and parents? Now, I am not in the market for such picture frames, but you can't help noticing them while shopping at any home goods store. I pointed out to my mother the two that single people could buy 1) "One day...." and 2) "I wish...." She thought it was a lot funnier than I did. I am now thinking of buying a picture frame business and coming up with better slogans. i.e. "I can walk around naked and no one knows..."

Anyway, moving has been an experience. I realized that I don't have as light of a load as I should have - to be single. I have got to start throwing things away. Oh, and Sidda is fine. She didn't like it at first but now she has found the best hiding spots and is happy. She is my alter ego. Seriously, she is so prissy. I catch her looking at herself in the mirror and she slowly prisses her little self all over this house. For all you friends - come and visit - I have a guest room now, and a great backyard. I am even thinking of getting a slip-n-slide (although mother thinks I will end up in the emergency room). Hopefully I can write more often now!

Comments

Lauren said…
A 3 bedroom house? Dang girl! You must be doing good!
Katie B said…
Lauren, I am renting it for a steal...
Dona said…
Pictures please!!

Popular Posts