Winner Winner Chicken Dinner

Yesterday was the Fourth Annual Bradshaw Family Throwdown. Since this was the first year without Granny, the theme of the day was that you had to make something that would have been served on "Janie and O's" table. I was a little sad about going to the Throwdown without Granny. However, I will never forget the night I stayed with her in the hospital, we had a horrible nurse. There had not been great care at this hospital, but this was particularly bad. After a couple of hours, her nurse finally read on the board that she was legally blind. So, what does he do? He asked her how many fingers he was holding up. It was a bit ridiculous. Anyway, she finally looked at me and said, "I sure wish today was the Throwdown." So, we had to carry on for her.

This year there were three winning categories 1) Children's, 2) Dessert, and 3) Other. I decided to make homemade peach ice cream, because my Grandfather made this every single Sunday afternoon, when my Dad and his siblings were growing up. I really wanted to win one of the coveted aprons - at the Masters you win the coveted green jacket, we win a coveted apron. Granny and I had created a Key Lime Pie the first year, and we won honorable mention - but that doesn't come with an apron.

Dad, having already won a coveted apron, decided that he would make fried fish. He buys this fish from a stand in Cottondale, Florida. The lady does not speak much English, and all he can understand is that the fish "tastes like grouper." We call it the mystery fish.

Mom made all the aprons, and entered some boiled peanuts that Dad cooked. I tried to get her to take a box of Moon Pies, but she didn't.

Anyway, every year my Aunt Trish gets this great big water slide. This year was the biggest ever, 18 feet tall, and 52 feet long. Dad said if he won, he would go down the slide. Well, we both won. Dad won for "other", and I won for "dessert." My cousin's daughter, Betsy, won in the "children's" category.

Here are the pictures:

The Winners!







Dad's First Run Down the Slide!



My First Run Down the Slide!



















Then Betsy and I went together!


















Then Dad and Mac went down!

























Oh, and Mom had to make a staged "Southern Living" photo of my winning apron.






Comments

Melissa said…
The Throwdown looks like so much fun! Congrats to you for winning!
Laura said…
Yay Katie!!! Looks like yall had a good time! All I can say is that Janie made the best dumplins I've ever had and Mr. Bill loved her pecan pie! :)
Anonymous said…
Way to go PB & Katie B !! Love the slide . . . . think I can get WC to go down one???

Popular Posts