Granny's Eulogy

I am sure Granny is in heaven right now, saying to someone “I hope she is not about to sing.”

I was fortunate enough to stay in Birmingham a few days, while Granny was in the hospital. One night I was getting ready to leave the ICU, and I said, “well, I will see you in the morning.” She said, “not if the Lord takes me.” I said, “well, if the Lord takes you, know that I love you. You lived a blessed life, and have lots of children and grandchildren.” Aunt Trish added, “and Mother you have had a wonderful influence on them. And not just your family. You have had a wonderful influence on the entire community, the whole town of Cottonwood.” Granny said, “all 25 of them.”

Dad told me recently that before there was 911, people called Janie for everything. If someone needed an ambulance, or the police, or if someone was sick or dying, or if they had a question about child rearing, or even where a scripture might be found in the Bible, they called Janie at 3777.

I must say, I was taken aback that Granny’s phone number was 3777. For the number 3 is a Biblical symbol of the Trinity. God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit. Divine perfection. And from the Seven days of Creation to the Seven Seals of Revelation, Scripture is saturated with the Number Seven. In essence, seven denotes spiritual perfection.

As a small child I loved to sleep with Granny. She always said that she could feel Othell’s hand on her back at night. Now, my reasoning as a child went something like this: if Othell was in Heaven, and she felt his hand on her back while she slept, then if I slept beside her, I would be close to God. It took me a long time to realize that I felt close to God when I was with Granny, not because of some mysterious angel/ghost presence, but because Granny was close to God. She always knew whose she was.

I am pretty sure all of you, and all the people who have called on her through the years, did so because of her closeness to God. Her strength she obtained through her faith. So, it should come as no surprise that her number has such a spiritual significance.

One of Granny’s favorite chapters of the Bible was 1 Corinthians Chapter 13. She told me once that when she had to memorize poems for school, she always quoted these verses. Most of us have memorized these verses because they are so often chosen as readings for weddings.

Love is patient; love is kind; love is not envious or boastful or arrogant or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; it does not rejoice in wrongdoing, but rejoices in the truth.

Now, let me be the first to admit that Granny was the most honest person, I have ever met in my life. If she thought it, she said it. She was always the first to point out if you had received an unfortunate haircut, or gained weight, or had on some interesting “garb”.

All who knew her can attest to this quality. It was not until I was much older that I realized this quality was such a virtue. There are so many people in this world who will never tell you the truth, but not Granny – no she rejoiced in the truth.

All of us could ALWAYS count on her telling us the truth, and helping keep our ambitions in perspective. For example, I write. Now most writers dream of writing the great American novel or winning a Nobel Prize. But Granny told me a couple of weeks ago that I should aim for a good “bathroom” book - a book with really short stories that people can finish while going to the bathroom. I think this wit and humor, combined with her deep spirituality is what made so many people in this community call upon her in their time of need.

Granny was a Wife, Mother, Grandmother, Great-grandmother, Sister, Aunt, and Friend. She was a teacher, a preacher, a beautician, a confidant, a comedian, a doctor, a nurse, a private investigator, a pharmacist, a lactation consultant, orthodontist, and a spiritual advisor to many. But at the end of the day, she was just Granny to us.

In one of her last sermons she gave to some of the family, she said that nice houses, nice cars, nice clothes, and lots of things were not what is important in this life. Although, you do need to be presentable on Sundays. Rather, she said, what is important in this life is family and faith.

She was definitely this family’s prayer warrior. She got on her knees, every night she was able, in order to pray for her family and her friends. In fact, if you asked her to pray for a certain situation, and she knew the time it was to take place, she would stop in the middle of her day and get on her knees and pray for you.

I think her devotion to prayer, and understanding of prayer, were a result of her life as a true disciple of Christ. Oddly enough, the last writing I read to her was a piece I had written about Jesus’ call to discipleship in Luke. I opined that his call to discipleship was a call to an everyday faith journey. I said it is an easy thing to have faith in God during the mountain tops of life, but it is much harder to maintain that faith in the valleys of this life. For we must recognize that bearing the cross and being a disciple of faith in Christ, begins with His grace, is sustained by His grace, and ends through eternal life with Him. And we thus have to ask for “strength and courage” to “love and serve” Him, everyday, with “gladness and singleness of heart.”

Granny stopped me right there and said, Katie I completely agree. It wasn’t until a couple of weeks later that I realized this theological idea was not something I came to on my own, but was from watching Granny through the mountains and valleys of her life, as she showed us what it was to be on this faith journey. She was the toughest person I have ever met, physically, mentally, and spiritually.

Let us take great comfort in knowing that Granny is now at home with God. He has just added one feisty little angel to his fold. She is there with all the company of heaven, especially Othell, who died twenty-five years today. And Scotty – both of whom I am sure she was glad to see. Let us all pray that light perpetual shines upon them. And let us take great comfort in knowing that the angel at extension 3777 is able to see again and look over us all the days of our lives. Amen.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Katie--bless you upon the loss of your grandmother. I know that she is looking down on you with pride. What a sweet post! Miss you.

Lisa Harrison
Anonymous said…
Such a wonderful tribute to your Granny. This took strength to write and I hope you find strength from the wonderful memories of your Granny.
Ashley Cole
Nancy Wingo said…
Beautiful tribute, Katie! And you are most definitely a writer. Not sure if anyone gets away with disagreeing with Granny, but I'm thinking you should aim higher than a bathroom book - not that there's anything wrong with that :)
Rebecca Beers said…
so good, so sweet, and so appropriate Katie Ann. Love the "feisty little angel" :) You know it's true. Tell your momma and the rest of your family how much I love them - but love you most!
Jenny said…
Katie, I am so sorry that I am just hearing about this. Your Eulogy is beautiful and is such an honest representation of how much you loved and adored her. I am thinking of you and your family at this very difficult time. Love you much.
Unknown said…
What a wonderful tribute to a really great Granny!
Lydia said…
I am so sorry to hear of your loss. From your writings, it's so obvious what a special relationship you had with your Granny. This eulogy is such a beautiful tribute to her and I bet she's smiling down on you in appreciation. May God hold your hand and bring peace to you
as you grieve. Prayers for you and your family.
Katie B said…
Thank you. Granny had detailed plans for her funeral, one of which was that I had to give a eulogy. I wish I could have said more, but I knew she would want me to keep it short.
Jennifer said…
Katie, I wish I could have been present to watch you read this. I know there were shoulders shaking....from laughter & tears! Mine would have mostly been shaking from laughter. I never had the priviledge or meeting your "Granny" until NOW.....AND I LOVE HER! This was not just a tribute to her through your eyes as a grandaughter - you TRULY gathered this woman's soul & scattered it among us all. What a couple of funny gals you two must have made!!
Keep writing & sharing. It's such a silent yet powerful gift!
love you, miss you,
Jennifer Rolen
Katie, what a beautiful, touching eulogy. I know your words brought laughter and comfort to all who heard them.
Molly said…
Katie,

I was going through your blog and came across this post. Your Granny obviously made a huge impact on your life, and I know she is so proud of her little Katie B! I lost my grandmother, "Mama" in October and it is so hard to go on without her. I sympathize with your grief, and I'm lifting you up in prayer. Love to you!

Molly G
Katie - what an incredible lady you have grown up to be. You truly have a beautiful voice. I wish you much happiness in your writing journey.

Alana (Andrews) Gray
Tinker Danford said…
My Dear Katie,
I never knew you blogged...I'm quite sure that I did not stumble upon your site by accident. I have read this beautiful eulogy and have tears streaming down my face. I wanted to be at Janie's service so bad, but it just couldn't happen. I had heard that you did a beautiful job. Reading this made me feel like I was there. Your beautiful Granny was such a beautiful woman and I am one of those people that I know she prayed for while on her knees. We had many, many long talks. Together we prayed, laughed, cried, sung, and had such wonderful times. Some of the best years of my life was being at Cottonwood Methodist Church. She, Barbara and I had some really good times. Katie, I'm so proud of the beautiful and successful young woman you have become. I think about you often and send hugs and kisses. Love, Ms. Tinker....your old piano teacher!

Popular Posts