My Life Line

Let me give you all some advice - DO NOT LOOSE YOUR DEBIT CARD. In the hustle and bustle of last Monday, I lost my debit card. I didn't realize it until Tuesday morning. When I called to report it lost/stolen, they said they would overnight me a new card for $16, but I had to be at home to sign for it. Since I have a JOB and can't be at home, then I couldn't get it overnighted. (Oh, and I wouldn't get to the UPS office until after they were closed, if I wanted to pick it up.) However, they will mail you a new card in 7-10 business days and you don't have to sign for it? Can someone explain that?

To make matters worse, Mississippi has a very weird banking system. They pretty much only have small private banks. That is awesome if you aren't transient, or don't travel... So, the only locations of my bank are located in the city I live in, and none in the city I work in. Therefore, I haven't been able to go withdraw cash. It has been a major problem.

If you haven't noticed lately, you can't write a check for anything. No gas, no food. I almost ran out of gas and some lady gave me nine dollars to get home, I tried to write her a check but she said, 'then it wouldn't be a blessing". I really felt like one of those people who waits at the convenience store for people to give them money. We had a guy like that at the little convenience store near campus when I was in college. Someone, at some point, dubbed him "Shorty." Maybe that was his name? I really don't know. He always asked for change, but people would give him a beer instead. This seems so illogical now, but it was very logical at the time.

I told a friend of mine that being without a debit card was worse than having spent all your money and just plain being broke. I finally asked a friend to let me have some cash and let me write her a check - a personal ATM machine. But word to the wise, hang on to the Debit Card it is a lifeline to the world.

Comments

Rebecca Beers said…
shorty was definitely his name.

Popular Posts