Bathroom Philosophy

I have a couple of secret obsessions. One that I can talk about openly is my obsession with writings on bathroom walls. Yes, I love to read the inspirational or not so inspirational writings that can be found on bathroom walls. No, not the ones that say "call for a good time." I am talking about the ones that are written in some inebriated state - I find them to be ironically inspirational.

One of my favorite local establishments must be one of the most inspirational watering holes in the World. There are so many great writings in the women's bathroom there - it is slightly unbelievable. I recently read one that said, "you can't be a good liver, and have a good liver." I am pretty sure the writer meant to say "lover." I still haven't figured out why you can't have a good lover and be a good lover, but I do know that you either have a good liver or you don't.

Another favorite is: "we don't need change, we need dollars." Every time I read that one I think, "AMEN." If there is a politician out there thinking about running for office anytime soon - this might be a good slogan and mantra for your campaign and time in office.

My all time favorite is this: "God is the sea - let go and float." I Googled this to see if this is some famous quote which can be attributed to a theologian or philosopher. Nothing popped up. I was extremely surprised because this is such a profound statement. It is profound because I feel like this is a wonderful synopsis of faith. Think about it like this - we are in the sea of life and we are trying to figure out how to keep our head above water.

The storms of life are always just around the corner and even when there aren't storms, we can get so tired of treading water in the burning sun. We feel like we have to do all the work ourselves, however, with a little faith we could just float. Floating does not mean that storms will not still happen, but our faith will help us through. Amazing isn't it? We work so hard and exert so much energy trying to make our own way in this life, while all along God is there waiting for us to let go and let him.

So, here's to you anonymous bathroom philosopher (whomever you are) - during this season of Advent, while we wait the coming of Christ, let us all remember your profound words - God is the sea, let go and float...

Comments

Popular Posts