A Little Chicken

I have been busy getting everything ready to start my new job. The church threw me a surprise pot luck lunch today and I was shocked! We ate a great meal - followed by a dance lesson. Yes, you read that right - a dance lesson. The staff is hosting a disco party this Thursday night to raise money for the youth. Fifty people bought tickets and are coming to be entertained by us. Therefore the entire staff learned "The Hustle" today. No kidding.

Oh, and my friend Anna (who used to have a blog but took it down - hopefully it will reappear soon) had her baby this past Saturday night. "E" was due to arrive on Halloween, which I was pumped about because you know I love Halloween, but she decided to arrive slightly early. My mom was here visiting and they had been trying to call her phone all morning to tell us she was here. However, Mom keeps her phone on vibrate and does not realize when people are calling. So, finally about 7:30a.m. they called my phone and we heard the news.

Of course, I decided that I needed to make "E" her first Halloween costume (in honor of her original due date) so that Mom could take it back to Dothan with her. I made "E" a chicken costume. Which you can see here:
Mom says it will swallow her right now because she is so little. But I am hoping she will get to wear it, at least for a couple of minutes!

As I was hot gluing the decorations on the hat I said, "Mom, what if my children do not like homemade Halloween costumes? What will I do?" She laughed and informed me that my children will not like homemade Halloween costumes and that I will have to break down and finally buy costumes. This has been bothering me, but I am hoping that at least my friends' children will like my costumes.

I am actually decorating my house for Halloween this year. I will be able to have trick or treaters for the first time in my life. When you grow up on a farm, no one comes looking for candy at your house. Somehow, my Dad has not figured this out and every year he buys candy for hundreds of children. My mom has to call my cousins and beg them to bring their kids by so he can give someone candy. The kids always think they have hit the motherload when they get to our house because "Uncle Phillip" pretty much gives them each an entire bag of candy.

Needless to say I am excited about the possibility of trick or treaters. In fact, my mom even bought me some decorations - one of which is a sign on my door that reads, "A Witch lives here with her little monster." Then of course she started over analyzing the sign and asked me if "I thought people would think a single woman lives here and then they may break in." I almost told her the possibility of magical witch powers might scare them away, but I didn't. I did however assure her that no one was going to think twice about my Halloween decorations, except to make fun of me for putting them out in September.

Mom also thinks that Siddalee needs to be a "Princess" this year for Halloween. Apparently, she thinks Sidda runs my house...and maybe she does. I have been letting her go outside and roam around in the afternoons. She really likes to go outside but she will not stray very far - although she tends to run from me when I try and get her to come back inside. I think she thinks this is a "new game."

Anyway, I am hoping to post a list of good homemade costumes you can make for yourself or your children soon. Don't give in to the over commercialization of this holiday! If nothing else - use your imagination! You can bet on "E" and I wearing our home made costumes - we hope you will too!

Comments

Rebecca Beers said…
Katie Ann! I feel you on the no trick-or-treaters... We obv didn't have any on the farm in tyler so I always had to go "to town" to do my trick-or-treating. Sadly, there aren't a lot of kids in my neighborhood, so I've never had any trick-or-treaters at 1623 Woodfern either. Hope you have better luck than me!
Anna said…
elle loves her chicken costume!!

Popular Posts