I Got A New Job

I have fallen off the face of the earth lately. Not just on this blog, but with friends and family as well. I haven't been replying to emails, returning calls, and I am pretty sure I have things to mail to certain people :). However, there is a reason for all of this - I have been under a lot of stress trying to make some tough life decisions and when I felt like my back was against a wall, and I was ready to give up - I finally GOT A NEW JOB!

I am going to be clerking for a judge. For the time being, I will be commuting every day but the drive will be well worth it. I really like the judge and his court administrator. The judge is straight forward, honest, and has a very dry sense of humor. These are all qualities I appreciate in people. I have no clue what the future after this holds for me, but I think this is going to be an incredible learning experience.

Although, I am really excited, it still has not quite sunken in yet. I did get my benefits package in the mail today - there are so many choices and I do not know what half of this stuff means. However, it has helped this seem real. It has been a long year, with lots of interviews and searching and cover letter writing. I am pretty sure my parents and grandparents are happier than I am - I secretly think it is because they can say I am using my law degree!

This brings me to a good point. If you have a job, any job, you should be very thankful. Looking for a job is extremely difficult in this market. There may be people in your life that are working jobs that seem below them or which they may seem extremely over qualified for, but I encourage you to be supportive of the fact that they are working. For the last couple of months I have had the highest degree of education within my department at the church, and actually one of the highest degrees of the entire staff, but I was the lowest person on the totum pole.

Some people laughed at me for taking my job seriously, and working hard. I think it was Teddy Roosevelt who said, "do what you can, with what you have, where you are." I kept repeating that to myself over and over this past year. I can guarantee you the people in your life, who you think are working a job they are over qualified for, know they are in a job they are over qualified for. I challenge you to be supportive and not critical - I never would have made it through the last year without the encouraging people in my life.

I guess I sound like I have just gotten the mecca of jobs and am going to be making lots of money. Let me assure you, I am working for the state - and have been informed with everything they take out of my first pay check, it will be a long first two months - lots of rice and beans in my future. But, I do feel blessed with this incredible opportunity to learn so much about the law. This is a big step for me and I am excited to be using my law degree.

I have learned so much over the past year - about people; about the importance of planning ahead in order to make things happen successfully; and I have filed away ways I would treat people if I were ever given a leadership position. For that, I will never regret this experience. Thank you all for hanging in there with me and being supportive. I am looking forward to this new adventure, and I am sure there will be a lot to blog about!

Comments

Lydia said…
Congratulations!!!! :-)
Anna said…
yay!!!!! SO excited for you!!
The Jernigan's said…
Good Luck Katie!! I know you are excited!

Popular Posts