Yep - I am getting old

Today is my birthday and I am the big 2-7. That is 27, or twenty-seven... It sounds really old. Granny woke me up at 7:15 a.m. and she said "your getting older and uglier", then she laughed and said she was kidding. I had to laugh because it sounded like something I would say.

I was originally born on Maundy Thursday at 9:26a.m. or 9:36a.m. or somewhere in there. I was two weeks late, which explains a lot, and I had lots and lots of hair. More hair than most of you have right now. You think I am kidding but I am not. Oh, and I had a cone head so my mom didn't get to see me until 2p.m. in the afternoon - I was really ugly looking.

Anyway, I love this time of year - Easter and Holy Week. Have I ever mentioned that? Maybe it is because of the whole being born on Maundy Thursday thing. My birthday is always near Easter and therefore I get a lot of peeps and Cadbury eggs, which I love. (Did I mention I was going on a diet after Easter?)

I remember when Anna and I were about eight or nine, or round about that age, her mom, Miss Donna, was asking us random interview questions. I know you are now wanting to ask what in the world - but don't. I can't remember why - I keep trying to remember why, but I have no idea what we were doing, all I can remember is being in their bedroom and being asked questions. Do you have memories like that? You can remember everything around you, but only a small detail? It is like this circus video I used to watch when I went to their house. I loved the part where they showed how clowns put their make-up on, but that is all I can remember. Maybe that started my fascination with going to clown school - which I almost did instead of law school. It is actually harder to get into clown school than law school. Total tangent - I sound like my mother. So, Miss Donna said "what is your favorite holiday?" And I said EASTER!

All that to say that it is kind of fun having my birthday on Holy Wednesday and getting to work at the church and help plan Holy Week. Although our theme this week is "What do you bring to the cross? What does the cross bring to you?" and we are singing When I Survey the Wonderous Cross during every service. I think I am going to be sick of that song by the end of this.

So, that is the positive of this birthday. Now let me tell you the negative. I took this quiz last week to see which "Steel Magnolias" character I was. You will never guess the result - Ouiser Boudreaux (Shirley MacLaine's character). The description said:
You are Ouiser. You are confident, self-reliant, and comfortable speaking your mind. You may have cared what other people thought of you in the past, but you're over that now. As you say, you're "not as sweet" as you used to be. (Perhaps you've been hurt in the past, so you have told yourself it's better to protect yourself than be hurt again?) You're comfortable in your own skin, and often say what everyone else is thinking, although they'd never dream of saying it aloud! You're witty and can be brash and sarcastic, but deep down you're a real softy! You are used to showing a hard outer shell, but sometimes you don't know what to do when life crumbles around you. It's during these times, you need to lean on those girlfriends to get you through. And once you're feeling better...you can bounce back to your rare form we all know and love! (P.S., we all secretly admire your confidence!).

I will admit - I have always admired Ouiser, she was my favorite. BUT I DIDN'T WANT TO BE OUISER UNTIL I WAS OLD. What happened? I can't be Ouiser at 27 years old. Sure, I have already declared my retirement, but that was for psychological reasons. It is scary to think about. Ouiser grew tomatoes because she felt she had to, I just planted some plants and herbs last week because I felt the need to plant something. Ouiser said whatever came to her mind and boy do I do that and get myself in trouble. What if I really am Ouiser at 27 years old? Boy, I am getting old.

Comments

Rebecca Beers said…
Katie B -
I saw that quiz, and even though I didn't take it, I knew that I would be Ouiser (ok, maybe I would also be M'Lynne, but I think that I am more of a Ouiser). Anyway, BE PROUD to be Ouiser! Love her - she is by far the most fun one to be around :) I hope you have a fantastic bday!!! Love you!
-Beers
Donna Lewis said…
Katie you are a very very young version of Ouiser, I am the old version of Ouiser, believe me. FIFTY SUCKS! I could deal with being 27 again. You made me cry reminising about things we did many years ago. I think I remember we were doing a "Radio Show", one of the many games you girls loved to make up. I had to ask the questions and if I remember we even had a microphone and recorded our (shows). How fun!! Let's do it again, this time you can ask the questions and I will be the old timer answering questions about the "good old days". hahaha
Katie B said…
I think you are right! I think it was a radio game show! I used to like making up the prizes that you would win if you got the answers right. Isn't that kind of strange? Do you still have that Circus video?
Anonymous said…
Honey, you are a Ouiser. Embrace it.

AA
Anonymous said…
The good old days! One particular day, JD was dressed as
ED McMahon. Y'all would make the phone ring and pretend Anna, Jamie, or Katie had won the big prize while playing Publishers Clearing House. On this hysterical day, KB is playing AL's husband. Phone rings. HE(KatieB) answers in a gruff voice to hear ED (JD)announce that they've won a big prize. He(katie) starts yelling out to his "honey" (Anna) "Honey, we going somewhere, we going somewhere. Pack yo' bags, Honey, we are goin' somewhere! "Honey it's a cruise! pack some lingerie!" WE ARE Going! Yes, Miss Donna, This tape is in the video archives somewhere and may need to be resurrected at this Easter Time of year.
Lauren said…
Oh my goodness. The comments are almost as funny as the post!
Anna Garrott said…
Don't stress.... I think the Ouiser thing totally runs in our family regardless of the age!

Popular Posts