Sometimes When You Miss by an Inch...

One of my favorite songwriters, Kate Campbell, commented in a song "sometimes when you miss by an inch, it might have well been a mile." Story of my life Kate.

A cousin of mine was singing with a band one night at the Double Branch in Troy, Alabama. She was singing various songs one of which was Delbert McClinton's "Two More Bottles of Wine." It was also recorded later by Emmylou Harris and was a pretty famous song for a time. Well, sitting in the Double Branch was a producer who heard Anna and long story short, he signed her and she has recorded a CD. Anna is now living in Nashville and making music! (You can check out her website.) Her story is kind of inspiring right?

So, for my birthday I went over and visited some friends in Birmingham. I spent the day hanging out with my friend Anna. It was fun except when we had to go into some baby store, Storkland. I accidentally bumped into a big giraffe which fell over onto baby furniture which fell over and knocked down other baby furniture. All the people working in the store ran over to see what was going on. To my dismay, they were concerned about the furniture and not my hand which had been skinned up by the freaking giraffe. If I hadn't been overwhelmed by all the things in the baby store, I might have given them a little talking too about safety. But I was just ready to get out of the store.

Anyway, that night my friends took me to a karaoke bar, Bourbon Street, what an experience. Bourbon Street is located in an old Pizza Hut out in Irondale. If you have the chance to go, you need to. My friends had talked the place up and it didn't disappoint. I picked out a couple of songs to sing and they kept saying - "make it a crowd pleaser." Remembering what happened to Anna, I immediatly decided to sing, "Two More Bottles of Wine."

Finally, with a little persuading from my friend, who is a regular, they called my name. Before I knew it I was half way through the chorus, but I suddenly realized, no one was singing along. In fact, most of them were looking at me a little funny, as if I were an idiot. I did a sideways glance over to my friends who were laughing hysterically and taking pictures of me. Needless to say, no producer approached me after my performance wanting to sign me to a record deal. In fact, my friends were still laughing and saying, "we tried to explain that you needed to do a crowd pleaser" but they said, "you sounded great." Later they signed me up to do some Brittany Spears, which sort of redeemed me, but when you miss by an inch....

Comments

Kelsey said…
Greer and I are at my desk laughing hysterically! My favorite part of the blog is that you referred to me as a REGULAR at
"bar in Irondale that is a converted Pizza Hut." My parents would be so proud of the classy lady I have become.
Robin said…
I wish I could have seen all this happening ! Glad you are my new FB friend.You ALWAYS make me laugh.
Julie Ward said…
I'm so sad I missed your first Bourbon Street experience!
Anonymous said…
Dear Katie,

Greetings from New Guinea. I like your blog reading. Bourbon Street like a fun pub. I like Britney Spears too.

Sincerely,

Dooki

Popular Posts