My Manna

It is interesting to me that today is Groundhog Day, because I feel like I am living in the movie Groundhog Day. I have had a stream of bad luck lately, and it is wearing off on other people - this is a disclaimer and you may want to stop reading this blog in case the bad luck runs off on you. Have you ever heard the quote, "if it weren't for bad luck, I would have no luck at all?" That is me. I feel like I have written this before...it seems to be a daily thing, over and over again like the movie.

I can't seem to get the pendulum to swing in my direction. I woke up in a terrible mood, I had to be at work earlier than I have been, and the day just went downhill. To top it off, when I got off work I was supposed to babysit and spend the night with some kids here in town. When I pulled up to their home at 6:00 p.m. they were standing outside with the "teenager" who picked them up from school. I get out of the car and they said, "we are locked out of the house." Of course I say, "you are kidding me, right?" And they assured me that they were not kidding and that they had been standing outside since 3:30 p.m. The parents had left town, locked the door, and forgot to leave a key.

A locksmith had been there for about forty-five minutes. He told me these were the best locks money could buy and they are nearly impossible to pick. I take the kids to get some dinner and I told him to call me when it opened. He never called, and he never called, and he never called. When we finished eating I took them back to the house, and by this point he had been working on the lock for two and a half hours. He said "ma'am, I don't think I am going to be able to get this unlocked."

By this point all I could do was laugh. I just kept laughing. And the little boy said, "why do you keep giggling?" Finally I told them, "guys I have had a bad day and this is just icing on the cake." Luckily, some of their friends let them spend the night and borrow clothes for school tomorrow. I finally made it home and am looking at all the papers I was supposed to be grading all night.

All day today I have been thinking about Moses and the manna. You know, when the Israelites followed Moses out of Egypt and they were hungry and complaining about how they had no food. So, God sent them manna (a flaky, bread like substance) to live on for forty years. {It is in Exodus 16} Those people were probably really thankful for the manna because it allowed them to survive and live. But lets be honest, they probably also had a lot of resentment toward that manna. See, while they were in Egypt they ate much more appetizing food, and even though they were finally free I bet they looked back upon that appetizing food with some longing. They had to live there in the desert eating manna every single day for forty years.

I don't think we are much different than the Israelites. Okay, maybe I feel like the Israelites, but I am guessing maybe some of you are too. I am trying my best to faithfully listen to God and allow him to lead me where he wants me to be. And he is providing for me, my manna, but sometimes I look upon the manna and think, God why is this the way you are providing? This is getting really old, and my patience is wearing thin. Why am I working at a job where people are asking me to do the craziest things? Why am I still babysitting when my friends are having their own children? But then something outrageous happens, like getting locked out of a house that even a locksmith can't get in, and all I can do is laugh. I have to laugh, take a step back, and remember that even though it is only manna - it is Gods' gift and I have to be thankful.

Comments

Abby Maddox said…
Just a phenomenal post!

Popular Posts