Gibbs Country Store

This past weekend a group of us headed out to Learned (pronounced Learn Ned), MS, in order to eat at a restaurant people have been raving about, called Gibbs Country Store. I was a bit skeptical of the idea, not because I don't love a hole in the wall - I do - but because this was really like going to the outer edge of no where. Oh, and my friend Will, who has no sense of direction, and couldn't find his way out of a paper bag, was driving.

Anyway, we finally made it out to Learned, which was a quaint place with a lot of really old buildings. There was a very pretty little church just down the road, and lots of people hanging out on the front porch waiting for their table. Gibbs really was an old country store, and they still sell home supplies - if you need such. (Gibbs is a much smaller version of W.M. Lewis and Sons, for all of those in the know.) You can also buy chips and popcorn while you wait...of course, you know we did.



The tables, as you can see from the picture below, are just long counter tops - which means that you get to sit by people you don't know. Some folks would call them strangers, but I like to think of it as friends that you haven't met yet. We sat beside a lovely couple who were from the area. They knew the ins and outs of the place, as well as all the employees.




Our new friends introduced us to their doctor, Dr. Chang. He had some of the best medical advice I have ever heard. Such as, don't waste all your heart beats on exercise, that is like saying the driving faster will extending the life of a car. Instead, Dr. Chang suggests napping more, preserve the heart. When asked if swimming improves your figure, Dr. Chang said, "if swimming improves your figure, explain the whale?" Makes perfect sense to me. Obviously, Dr. Chang is my new doctor.

I also appreciated our new friends suggestion to order the lamb. It was absolutely amazing. There is a bit of a small selection on the menu, but no one was disappointed. All the food was great. And for desert, you could get a Moonpie. I am sure most of you know that Moonpies have a special place in my heart, so of course I grabbed one for the ride home.

Give Gibbs Country Store a try, I don't think you will be disappointed. (Oh, and don't ask me how to get there, or Will, but you can find it on UrbanSpoon.com. Really should be RuralSpoon.com but they didn't ask me.)


Comments

Anonymous said…
Musta been BYOB!! OM
Anonymous said…
Musta been,but I don't see it anywhere. The B-I-B-L-E that is. Glad to see the old format. Don't stay away so long.

Popular Posts