Get the apple pie...


I have to tell you, I am an advocate of multi-tasking. I can read a book and watch T.V. I come up with great ideas for work, while I am in the shower. I listen to books on tape when making long road trips. I make lots of lists while I am waiting for my case to be heard in court. I even make lists in my head when people who like to hear themselves talk, drone on and on. Multi-tasking is a must in our technology driven society, but, people, there has to be some courteous limit. Right?

Today I was having a conversation with someone I do not know, who suddenly yells “A THIGH ANDA WING.” Then she had the nerve to be mad at me for saying, “WHAT?” And not even two minutes later she yells, “GREEN BEANS.” When did it become okay to order your lunch while on a phone call with a stranger? Granted, I realize if we were actually having lunch it would be appropriate. But, if you had to call someone you did not know, couldn’t you wait to make the phone call when you finished ordering your food?

This is not the first time this has happened to me. A few weeks ago a lady called to ask me about something and then said, “please hold,” which I did, while she proceeded to order at the drive thru. I have been really annoyed by this behavior. But today I started thinking, maybe Facebook, Twitter, and all the various social media out there, have removed walls of privacy to the point we don’t even realize personal boundaries – even with strangers.

I personally am not under the delusion that you all would like to know what I eat for every meal, when I go to the bathroom, if I have any ailments, where I am at every hour of the day, and on and on. Obviously, I am on these social media sites, and I spend time thinking of clever status updates – so I can’t really claim total non-involvement. And before some of you start commenting, I do realize I am pretty open with people I am very close to.

However, please know, I even get annoyed with my own Mother when she goes through the drive thru with me on the phone. So, I certainly don’t need to know what a stranger is ordering!

At the end of the day, I think the problem is actually….me. I mean I can’t help but rethink people’s food choices. In truth, I would have ordered the breast and a wing, with a side of mac’n cheese, rather than green beans. And for heaven’s sake, if you are going to let me hear your order – get the apple pie….

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hahahahaha...Your mother will refrain from including some of the most descriptive phone conversations I have endured!

Popular Posts