Taking back Thanksgiving...

I don't know about everyone else, but all the stores in my area starting putting out Christmas decorations on Halloween night. This seriously annoyed me, I mean, what about Thanksgiving? Did Thanksgiving just disappear? I have been lamenting about this lately, and people keep telling me that Christmas, "sells."

Well, I have an idea for all those consumerastic, money making companies, I think we should take Thanksgiving back. Next year, we should all dress up as either Pilgrims or Native Americans, for our Thanksgiving dinners. I even suggested to my parents that we wear Native American headdresses to our lunch this last week. It didn't work out for me....
The thing is, I just think it is a shame that we have forgotten the significance of this holiday. It is kind of ironic, seeing how many citizens in our country have an attitude that America is the chosen country, yet they forget how young America is in comparison to the rest of the countries of this World. In fact, their are universities in England older than our country. So, I guess it would make sense that most of us forget that this holiday was started by the brave Pilgrims who ventured here, and the Native Americans who gave them seed and taught them to fish, which kept them from starving. (I realize this is an oversimplization, and does not take into account the atrocities that later happened to the Native Americans.)

In theory, we continue this tradition by offering our own thanks and remembering those who went before us in establishing our country. Yet, in reality, Thanksgiving has become the day everyone gets in line and/or rests up for the Black Friday sales.

So, what do I suggest we do? Well, I have several ideas. First, what if our neighborhoods organized Thanksgiving Day parades. In fact, I nominate my neighbor Rachel (whose blog is here) to organize our parade next year, I know she loves a parade.

Or, we could all learn a Thanksgiving Day song. Here is one:

Hello, Mr. Turkey
Hello, Mr. Turkey how are you? Hello, Mr. Turkey, how are you? With a gobble, gobble, gobble, And a wobble, wobble, wobble. Hello, Mr. Turkey, how are you?

Or, again, we could all dress up as Pilgrims or Native Americans? There is something about a costume that makes things seem authentic. Okay, so maybe this is taking it to the extreme. But seriously, at the very least we could demand that if the stores are going to put their Christmas decorations up for sell so early, they should at least be on sale by now....

Comments

Anonymous said…
Amen sister! The extinction of the large,brown,paper grocery bag has made the home crafting of pilgrim and indian costumes nearly impossible. !!! ta toona ta tonka I'm in!!

Popular Posts