Santa Has It Right, Only Visit People Once A Year

I can't believe that the Christmas hustle and bustle is beginning. Walgreens had Christmas decorations out before Halloween was over. When I was checking out of Walgreens this weekend, the store clerk was trying to put lights on a fake tree. I expressed my outrage, however, she didn't get that I was outraged that Christmas decorations were already up. She thought I was outraged that she had to put up Christmas lights. She said, "Yeah, I know, I don't even do this at home." I let it go.

One of my co-workers has been working on her Christmas card for the last couple of weeks. She was so stressed that she had three fever blisters. Apparently, it is really hard to get her daughter to sit still for a picture. The Judge told her that this was normal behavior for a two year old. I told her that I felt her pain, I have the same problem with my cat.

Anyway, she inspired me to start thinking about my Christmas card this year. For the last week, I have been desperately searching for a funny quote for my card. I found one that I would love to use, but I think my Mother would be angry - and it might offend people. However, I think it is hilarious. This is it: "Santa has it right, only visit people once a year." Funny, huh? Okay, so maybe my finding humor in this quote, is a sign that I have lived alone for a long time. I also recognize that there are lots of people that will not get to see their families this holiday season, and I need to be grateful.

But here is the thing, how often during the holidays do you find yourself in the midst of a conversation with some random distant family member, or random family friend whom you have never really met? These conversations remind me of the line in The Waifs song, Waitress, which says, "Where everyone I meet don't want to know my name, they want to know what I do for a living." You know this is true. Also, if you are single, they always ask, "are you dating anyone?" For fun, at some point, I am going to say, "no, I am just sleeping with several men." Again, my Mother would kill me. It sounds better than saying, "I work a lot and never have time to meet anyone" - which is the truth.

After much thought, I have decided that the holidays have become one big long and drawn out baby/bridal shower - well, without the corny games. Take a moment, think about this revelation. Who would sign up for that? No one. That is why they (whoever the people who have commercially developed this season) sell all the lights and blow up Santa Clauses to put on your lawn, to mask the truth of this big baby/bridal shower season. After these two months of listening to everyone talk about their "wonderful" families, or having to dote on children that you have never seen before, or being referred to in the third person by other family members while you are present, how can you say Santa doesn't have it right?

I say, we should revolt and not give in to the gimmick of the commercial Christmas. Celebrate Advent. Wait and put your Christmas tree up on Christmas Eve. Celebrate the real Twelve Days of Christmas up until the Feast of Epiphany. We should truly celebrate the "Reason for the Season." If we all do this, we will get those commercial vulchers, good.

Until then, I anticipate my Christmas card being mailed out the first week in December. ;)

Comments

Lydia said…
You are hilarious! Love your comparison of your cat to a 2 year old. I can vouch for that.
Anonymous said…
You better watch out,
You better not pout,
You better not cry,
I'm telling you why,
Santa Claus is coming to town!

Popular Posts