Read and Listen

I recently read a book titled Unaccustomed Earth, by Jhumpa Lahiri. She is a Pulitzer Prize winner, she wrote Interpreter of Maladies, which I have not read. Anyway, Unaccustomed Earth is collection of short stories which explore generational relationships, gender relationships, differing cultures, and really is just a great reflection of life.

I have never been a fan of short stories. Yes, I do realize I am a blogger and this makes no sense. However, if I am going to read a book, I really want the story to be from beginning to end. Lahiri's writing has officially changed my perspective.

The entire time I was reading the book I was wishing I had a book club to discuss with. My Dad happened to be visiting the weekend I was finishing the book, and I kept trying to get him to read it, so that we could discuss the themes. It is just so rich with real reactions to life. I find it hard to write a fictional story which sounds like real life. So, I am in awe of her ability.

The stories have a common theme concerning differing cultures, and how we all relate. I have been exposed to a lot of racism against varying cultures over the last year. I don't get it. Anyway, I know quite a few first generation Americans from Greece and Italy. This book is a great insight into first generation Americans, who are figuring out how to integrate their heritage and the American culture. I do not want to give the point away, but it is fascinating. I think everyone should read this. So, please pick this up and read it - you will not be disappointed.

I have also recently discovered a band from England called "Mumford & Sons." I haven't seen them live, but I hear it is an incredible show. Their writing is phenomenal and their musical talents are equally so. I saw an early interview, from an Irish news station, and one guy was playing a Fisher Price toy during the intro, and then switched to the mandolin. Really cool. You should look these guys up, they are awesome.

Tonight I will leave you with some words from Mumford & Sons song, Awake My Soul:

In these bodies we live, in these bodies we die
Where you invest your love, you invest your life
Awake my soul, awake my soul, awake my soul
You were made to meet your maker
Awake my soul, awake my soul, awake my soul.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I like that band too; I will have to check out that song....and the book. I know what you mean about the book club. I'm not in one but have also at one time or another wished I was...so I could dicuss a book I was reading.
Anonymous said…
Thanks for the suggestions and your insight on short stories vs. book.
Anonymous said…
Always look forward to your posts. Thanks.

Popular Posts