I Met Kate!

As many of you know, I am a huge fan of the singer/songwriter Kate Campbell. If you ever listen to the music on this blog then you have heard her songs! The B's, a couple friend of my parents, introduced me to Kate Campbell when I was about 15 or 16. They gave me my first album, Visions of Plenty. I loved the music. She is such a great storyteller, and you know I love a great storyteller.

So, when I saw she was going to be in Jackson for the Eudora Welty Centennial concert, I was pumped. I kept thinking, we need to get her here at the church! Well, a couple of weeks ago, after our worship planning meeting, some of us were at this restaurant downtown and we saw the flyer's for the concert. I told my boss, "hey, lets see if she will play at worship." He had never heard of Kate Campbell but he said "call and ask." I did! Much to my surprise, and even more to his surprise - she said yes!

I was so pumped for the couple of weeks leading up to it. Many of you even had to listen to me go on and on about Kate coming. Other Kate Campbell fans in the Church were just as excited as me. In preparation for the event, one of them played her music for the Sunday School class that he teaches. However, some other people had no clue about Kate and her music - especially my boss. He kept giving me the, "Katie are you sure this is going to be appropriate for Sunday morning worship" look. Actually, I could see his mind thinking "I can't believe I am listening to Katie's advice on music." He was very nervous and I was very excited. (Kate if you actually read this, I am sorry. But don't worry, he is a fan now - you won him over. However, he still doesn't completely trust my taste in music - I am lobbying for the chancel choir to do "Rock A Ma Soul" at some point.)

I have to admit, I don't get star struck. When I worked in D.C. I would ride the Senate subway with John McCain, Santorum, and many other congressmen/women and senators. I even almost literally knocked Hillary Clinton down once. I was running up the back stairs of the capitol and literally ran into her nose to nose. I was just as startled as she was. However, I was not star struck. They put their pants on just like us, one leg at a time. But when it comes to musicians - I get nervous. I can't even think straight. Isn't that crazy?

I remember the first time I met a songwriter from Texas, Adam Carroll, I was so nervous and my friend kept saying "why are you nervous, I have never heard of this guy!" It was the same way when I met Robert Earl Keen. He was playing at Birmingham-Southern and I saw him walking outside my dorm. I called my mom and said "ROBERT EARL KEEN IS RIGHT OUTSIDE MY WINDOW" and she said "well, go talk to him." I finally did, but I was so nervous about it. Let me assure you folks - Kate Campbell was no different. Sunday morning I was walking around all jittery and can you believe my co-workers were laughing at me?

I can't explain why I get nervous around musicians. I think I just respect people who can tell great stories and write great songs. I started writing songs when I was about 14. My parents are supportive, but realistic. In fact, my own grandmother will tell anyone that I can't sing. So, people who can sing and write great songs - the kind of songs that take people back to a place in their life in which they think "yeah, I know what you mean" - are real stars to me. I mean to have different people with different backgrounds be able to identify with the same song - that is talent.

Well, with all of the uncertainty my boss had displayed, I was a little nervous on Sunday morning, But when I got to church, I had an email that my boss had forwarded to me from a parishioner. She had seen Kate on Friday night here in Jackson for the Eudora Welty thing and loved her. So, Saturday morning she googled Kate and was surprised to see she was playing at the church on Sunday. She was pumped! That email was just a sign of a great day ahead!

Kate was one of the most gracious, down to earth people, I have ever met. She even remembered playing at the concert in Montgomery, AL, in these people's house, where my parents friends the B's bought me my first Kate CD. She remembered everyone's name that she met and her performance was awesome. In fact, such a wide range of people LOVED her - I was kind of shocked. (Again Kate, I am sorry but some of those old women don't like much of anything different, so for them to love your music is a big thing. Trust me, you don't have to listen to them get angry about the flowers in the sanctuary, or where a cross is placed, etc.) To top off the great performance, I got to go eat lunch with Kate and her assistant Deborah (who is also super nice).

Sunday night I was just chilling out reflecting on the day, as I was listening to my new Kate CD, and I realized - I didn't even get a picture with her. Can you believe after all of that, I didn't even have my picture with her. My luck. Anyway, check out her music - its' good stuff. (Kate if you read this - thanks again!)

Comments

Anonymous said…
You missed the picture by an inch, but something tells me the memory will far out last a picture.

Popular Posts