Reading Suggestions Needed

I love to read. So, when one of my Christmas presents was a Kindle, I was a little worried that it would make me no longer enjoy actual books. I can honestly say that my book habit has not subsided. I generally get all the free books on the Kindle, even the ones that are no good. However, there are certain books that I would like to buy, so that I can hold them. There is something about holding an actual book in your hand, I am not sure if it is the smell of the pages, or being able to turn down the little creases, but I find it addicting.

One of my favorite things to do is walk around the book store. On my lunch break, I go and walk around the book store. Most of the time I do not even buy anything. I just read the titles, look at the book covers, and every now and then flip through the pages. This past week, I was struck by all of the random book titles available, and topics which seemed rather dumb. I mean, I love books, but really?

For instance, there beside the C.S. Lewis selection was a book titled "We Aren't Sleeping Well Together." I thought to myself, "surely this book, shelved here beside C.S. Lewis, has a much deeper meaning than the title suggests?" But, alas, it didn't. Its' chapters literally were telling you how to shop for a mattress, how to position the bed in the room, how to pick out a relaxation CD, and selecting sheets. Okay, I made up the selecting sheets chapter, but seriously, isn't this just common sense? Do you really need a $16.99 book telling you all of this?

Then I turned around and saw "Eating Disorders for Dummies". Really? Most "for Dummies" books tell you how to do something? Is this a "here is how to have an eating disorder?" I am not trying to be funny. I think eating disorders are a very serious problem. In fact, it is estimated that eight million people in America have eating disorders. (seven million women and one million men). In my youth girl's Bible study, we spend a lot of time talking about body image, self esteem, and eating disorders. Maybe it is me, but I felt like a "for Dummies" book just makes the problem seem less serious. (If you know someone with an eating disorder, this is serious. They need real help.)

I am also obsessed with the $1 book rack. It just seems wrong to not buy a book off of the dollar rack. In fact, I did buy a book titled, Hug Your People, by Jack Mitchell. Now, I am not one to buy business books, but I figured it was only a dollar. And honestly, I think it is a great book. I have recommended it to several people. I accidentally left the book at my parent's home and my Mom started reading it - she is retired and loved it. I actually went out and bought a second copy, again it was only a dollar, but it was that good.

I also did a very dumb thing last week. I cancelled my current cable provider, because they stink. I then called to have a new cable company service added to my telephone and internet. However, they can't come until the end of the month. So, I am without T.V. and thus doing a lot more reading. I finally finished Bel Canto, which I have been trying to read for several years. Most people loved it, but I could never really get into the book. I am reading The Pastor by Eugene Peterson, The Four Loves by C.S. Lewis, and I have started loads of free Kindle books that are awful.

Anyway, all of that to say, I need reading suggestions! Please. Otherwise, it will be a long month.

Comments

Rebecca Beers said…
well, if you have a whole month, start either the Song of Fire and Ice series by George R. R. Martin or the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon. They each have several books and are super-awesome. The Martin books are a combo of Lord of the Rings/King Arthur/The Hobbit/Harry Potter and the Gabaldon books are a combo of Twilight/Philippa Gregory/historical fiction/awesome. However, if you read the martin books, buy the actual books; don't buy on your kindle. I bought them on my kindle, and it is kind of hard to read them that way b/c they have maps and appendices that you want to be able to flip to easily. Let me know which way you go!
meredith said…
The Help! So good! I could not put it down. Mockingbird is also good. It's a biography of sorts about Harper Lee. Very good! Devil in the Jr. League is also good for a quick read and funny!
The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks...it was my airport companion this weekend. Very good.
Jenny said…
I just finished BossyPants and it is HILARIOUS!

I didn't like Bel Canto either, but I loved "Run" by the same author.

Have you ever read The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver? I think you would like it...

Water for Elephants, The Help, Caleb's Crossing...maybe that is enough for now?

*I really did not like Henrietta Lacks!*
Anonymous said…
Hey Katie!

Any of Chelsea Handler's books are pretty funny. I think they might be your kind of humor. A bit on the risque side...

- Ethan

Popular Posts