Moon Pies for Loretti

My cousin has been performing in “The Honky Tonk Angels”, a play written by Ted Swindley, at The Rep in Seaside over the last several weeks. Actually, the play opened the night that Granny died. This past weekend a bunch of us went down to see the last performance of the show, and it was such a treat!

“Honky Tonk Angels” is about three women from different backgrounds who end up on the same bus headed to Nashville. They decide to combine their talents and form a music trio. Throughout the show, they sing tons of county songs made popular by female singers like Dolly Parton, Tammy Wynette, and Loretta Lynn. (Incidentally, Granny always called her Loretti.)

My cousin played the character “Darlene,” who is loosely based on “Loretti Lynn.” At one point she came out with a costume that seemed oh so familiar, and then she began to clog! I started having flashbacks to her days as a Dixie Darlin’ clogger, and let me tell you – she has still got it! Oh, and it was the same costume she wore way back in the day, I knew I had seen that look before.

Anyway, Darlene does a lot of talking to her “Momma” up in Heaven. And they sing “I’ll Fly Away” and “Will the Circle Be Unbroken” all throughout the show. I have no idea how my cousin did it, my eyes were filled with tears every time! I kept thinking about when I was a child and learning to play the guitar. Granny would take me with her as she practiced with a little bluegrass group she sang with. Every time they would sing “Will the Circle Be Unbroken” I would insist upon being the one to sing the line, “Momma Sang Tenor.” Even though I couldn’t carry a tune in a bucket, Granny let me sing that line every time. Anyway, the show was absolutely phenomenal, and I know she is my cousin and all – but that Darlene was fabulous.

However, before the second act started, the director gave everyone on the front row roses to throw on the stage. So, at the end of the show they threw their roses, and then, out of the back of the crowd someone started throwing Moon Pies. We had no clue that this was not a part of the show until afterwards, and my cousin asked if we were the ones throwing the Moon Pies. But we assured her, it was not us.

You see, for the last several years Granny ate a Moon Pie every morning for breakfast. Nutritious huh? She would heat it up in the microwave for about 20-25 seconds. How she came about figuring out that would taste good, I have no clue. So, when someone asked who was throwing the Moon Pies, my cousin said “it was my Granny.”

In truth, some random woman that no one seemed to know had shown up with the Moon Pies and threw them on the stage. Over the last several days, I can’t help but think that in some way Granny was a part of moving that woman’s spirit to take those to throw. I guess it was her way of saying she is still with us and isn’t missing a thing. Oh yeah, and letting my cousin know – “she done good!”

Comments

Anonymous said…
I do believe your Granny was the spirit behind those Moon Pies. All of you grandchildren and great-grandchildren better be on your p's and q's at all times.

Popular Posts